top of page

Welcome to the CockerKids® foster home network

In 1988 Sharon Elliott, a Cocker Spaniel enthusiast, was called on to assist in a raid of a backyard breeder. Sharon, horrified by what she saw, became determined to assist Cocker Spaniels who were abandoned and helpless.

The operation started small with two volunteers placing a dozen dogs a year. Within ten years this noble effort attracted a core of volunteers who re-homed a hundred plus dogs a year. In the late 1990's Cocker Spaniel Rescue established an internet presence with a website, While the website helped recruit volunteers and donations, the number of Cocker Spaniels in need increased dramatically. Now we have a presence on FaceBook and we are reaching even more Cocker Spaniel lovers.

Today CSR serves the greater Houston area with foster homes stretching from Conroe south to Lake Jackson, west to Katy and as far east to Deer Park. Our primary service area is around 5,600 square miles with a population of 5.7 million people. We serve an area bigger than three individual states (Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Delaware). Thirty states that have populations smaller than the greater Houston area. In 2009 we were contacted about 633 Cocker Spaniels in need of help and we adopted out an all-time high of 300. In 2009, we were awarded the Pedigree Breed Rescue of the Year at the Westminster Dog Show.

Dedicated volunteers are the heart of Cocker Spaniel Rescue of East Texas. Currently we have about 50 volunteers and 30 foster homes. We are an all volunteer organization (no paid employees) and do not operate a facility. We refer to the Cocker Inn® as a virtual home, representing our network of foster homes and boarding kennels. About 80% of the dogs are in foster homes. The remaining 20% are boarded at several kennels across the greater Houston area. We would love to have foster homes for all the dogs but being boarded in a kennel is better than being on death row. We extend our thanks to those of you who "volunteer" money. Your donations enable us to provide veterinary care and board dogs when foster homes can't be found. 

Veterinarian bills consume 65% of our budget. Nearly all dogs require immunizations. About 70% must be spayed or neutered. Almost 50% undergo heartworm treatment. In addition to these basic services dogs may arrive with ear, eye or skin infections that must be treated. A few of the dogs in our care need specialized surgery for cataracts, luxating patellas, femoral head ostectomies or cherry eye repair. Other dogs arrive injured or sick with contagious diseases such as distemper, requiring extensive hospitalization.

Understandably, not everyone can foster or make monetary donations. However, we have had great success from people posting our website on the company bulletin board, or sharing our story with family members and friends. We are always looking for ways to share information regarding rescue and would be honored to speak at a party or gathering to promote and educate on the joys of these 2nd Chance CockerKids®.

Help with our Forever Foster CockerKids is always a blessing for us, as well as the giver. Watching that "special CockerKid" progress, knowing you are a part of that success story, can bring a Texas size smile to anyone. Their path to a forever home is often much longer and their veterinary bills much steeper. Our faith is strong that "Their" forever home is out there and they too will experience unconditional love. Meanwhile they are saving their cocker kisses for "YOU"?

bottom of page